About Me

My photo
I enjoy writing; especially in an attempt to express myself through poetry. I love to read anything that tries to break down the walls of society and dismantled the common known truths. I enjoy watching documentaries on nature, conspiracy theories, history and science. I ride, compete and teach how to ride Paso Fino horses which is a breed between the Spanish Barbs from North Africa, and smooth-gaited Spanish Jennets (now extinct as a breed) These horses have a full collection, with a very slow forward speed. The footfall is extremely rapid while the steps and extension are exceedingly short. It is an evenly-spaced four-beat lateral gait with each foot contacting the ground independently in a regular sequence at precise intervals creating a rapid, unbroken rhythm. The most exciting part about this breed its their character, which they are known to have a lot of brio; they are extremely attentive, nervous and fast responders to any movements made by the rider or their surroundings. Which is what most fascinates me about the Paso Fino horse, because it forces me to be in complete awareness that I am mounting a powerful animal that has a mind of its own.

Saturday, October 31, 2009

Extra Credit - National Hispanic Heritage Month

I was born in Medellin, Colombia and left my country at 10 years old. My father came to the United States before my mother and I came; the reason for this new future was because of a horse. The horse’s name was Plebeyo; he was a white stallion full of brio and elegance. My father was his trainer in Colombia when the owner decided to conquer North America with the Paso Fino breed; taking us back to when I was two years old. It was our first trip across the Atlantic. We moved back shortly after I turned three years old because my mother was not happy, so we went back to Colombia to later come back to the states when I was 8 years old. He came to set a foundation for the family, then soon after I turned 10, my mother and I moved back to our new home, United State of America. Forming a new life in a new country was difficult, there were a lot of things that I had to adjust to; learning a new language, mix cultures, the roads, e.g. highways, the eclectic foods, and the amount of police patrolling the streets. But just like anything else that is part of nature, I adapted. I integrated my being to this new living and embraced its adjustments. I love how I became part of a new world, how I enveloped into the collage that forms the United States. I love waking up and reading the newspapers, always encouraging the Latin community to embrace their heritage. We are all now, Americans. Coming to the National Hispanic Heritage Month celebration this year at the Miami Dade North Campus, took me back or should I better say, it embraced what my background has brought into this new world we are residing today; United States of America. If it wasn’t for the spoken word uplifting our spirit to another realm, or the Mariachis that Professor McNair invited to proclaim what most of us Latinos grew up listening to, coming from our great grandparents, grandparents, parents, uncles, aunts, cousins and friends singing their heart out to, or the Flamenco dancers taking us back to our true heritage, Spain. Reminding us how much passion, dedication and identity we have evolved from, or the salsa dancers from the New World School of Miami or Kiki Sanchez Latin jazz we would not be who this country has become to be. Thank you! America for allowing us to be all one.

No comments:

Post a Comment